Skip to main content

Resting...

This week has quickly passed by! The plumbers came on Wednesday to begin the work on my slab leak, as it had been over a week without hot water in my house, we were more than ready to have it fixed!! However, I was DREADING the upheaval it was going to cause, jack-hammering through my tile and foundation...

I had a few appointments that morning, so I left, knowing my sister would oversee the work and keep me updated. Upon looking at my contract I saw that the quoted price covered "...up to 8 hours of labor and 3 ft of pipe...anything extra will incur further costs..."
"Great", I said to Martha, "I wonder how much more it will cost me... the guy said it was a potentially complicated leak and worst case, could lead to me having 3 holes busted into my tile and/or new wood floor... the way things are going in my life, I'm just going to plan for the worst!!" She just laughed at me.

As I was sitting in my counseling appointment, we were discussing some of the things going on and the chaos it was causing in my life... and how the past almost 6 months have been pretty much along those same lines. I was going on about how I hated feeling so "out of control and not able to fix anything".

After listening for a moment, my counselor said something which stopped me in my tracks, she said, "...well, okay Hannah, this all looks overwhelming, but we know that we can just leave this in God's hands -- whether or not you are supposed to be a part of the solution, He is telling you that He has got this and He is taking care of it - we can thank Him for that..."

I had to chuckle, as I realized, that I was taking the weight of the world on my shoulders when that is NOT what God wanted at all!!
Matthew 11:28
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest..."
Isaiah 28:12a
"...to whom He said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest"; and, "This is the place of repose"..."
These verses from my devotions this week were God talking to me and I loved it! In all the craziness, sorrow and chaos - God was asking me to REST in knowing that He is taking care of every need and will continue to do so -- what an amazing and relaxing thing!! (:
Our heavenly Father loves his kids so much, He promises us over and over that He will take care of things for us and that we shouldn't worry... the Bible is FULL of His assurances, I guess He knows what we are like and how fragile we can be...
This is my memory verse for January - a great reminder when I start to get overwhelmed with things.
Deuteronomy 31:8
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


On a good ending: my sister called me 4hrs later to tell me that the plumbers were DONE and they not only saved my hardwood floor, they only had to dig ONE hole and we probably have enough extra tiles left over to patch the kitchen floor, instead of having to replace the whole thing - saving a load of money!! Praise God (:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding in Jesus

Hiding in Jesus Today was a hard day, I start thinking I am doing okay and then unexpectedly the pain comes... Had a regular check-up for the baby today, and I felt that I was going to be okay, but when I walked into the office, the reality of how much my life is changing hit me and I broke down when the pediatrician walked into the exam room. Also today, I began the process of cleaning out my bedroom, removing a lot of the things that speak so loudly of Cj's presence - as we began pulling stuff out and I saw again how my life is changing, I found myself withdrawing and that now familiar ache spreading... I asked my sister to turn on my ipod and just shuffle my songs. Two songs came on, the first one which I haven't heard for probably 5 years at least! But these two songs were exactly what I needed to hear from my Savior and I was so blessed as His love spread into my hurting heart and again became that "balm of gilead" for me at that moment... I'm going to post a

Free falling...

As I continue on this journey, I find that it is the little things that are catching me off guard and causing the most pain... I think because I'm not prepared for them. The big things I am ready for and I am able to take a breath and kind of "shore up" my emotional safeguards in preparation. But, the little, unexpected events - like removing the empty soap dish from Cj's sink in our bathroom and realizing that I don't have to fill it again, or when his phone popped up a reminder to change the air filters monthly... these things remind me again of the reality that he is never coming back and waves of grief wash over me and the tears flow... This week has been full of this emotional roller coaster - add to that a fretful and clingy baby who is no longer sleeping at night, stress filled moments/days over Cj's transportation to Nigeria, some anxiety over situations that were out of my control but nevertheless counted as my responsibility and fault, trying to keep

Changes... Daring to Change

Have you ever felt like, in life, you were standing at the edge of a precipice about to take a plunge? That weird sense of nauseating excitement and nerves as you wonder what awaits if you dare to take “just a step”? The gut twisting, teeth clenching anxiety as you wonder what awaits... Have you ever stood at a crossroads, turning in slow, dizzying circles as you ponder which path to choose… understanding that whichever route you choose will bring uncertain futures – many good, perhaps many difficult and you try to weigh the costs without truly knowing what price they may require? Life is such a tangle of choices… sometimes I can’t trace the threads back to the one that led me to the point where I am standing now – at a crossroads, on a precipice, peering over the edge, feeling the wind whistle past, my heart skips a beat and my breath catches in my throat as I stare at the future looming… As a girl, I handed the reigns of my life over to the One whom my soul loves… my pr