Skip to main content

A birthday celebration

Today is Cj's 35th birthday - I keep thinking of what we would have been doing if this were a normal year with a normal birthday... I would have teased him that he was getting old... "Only 5 more years til 40!! Truly hitting middle age... Start looking for those gray hairs!!" Lol, I can see his wry grin now!
I wondered what Cj would be like as an old/older man. I couldn't picture it, because of course, I only knew him as a young guy and everything about him was strong, active and...young. (:
I used to jokingly remark that I didn't think he would be able to handle getting old... He would get too frustrated with having to slow down, to not be a "force to be reckoned with" on the soccer field!!
We celebrated by going to one of our family's favorite restaurants, where we went for Cj's birthday last year... I had the waiter bring out the "birthday brownie sundae" at the end. Funny, the kids didn't devour it like they usually do...
The kiddos decided they wanted to write letters to daddy and we will put them into a scrapbook of memories that we can add to and have for future reminiscing. They were very sweet, yet melancholy letters... I am constantly amazed at the kids' "matter of fact" way of discussing Cj, his death and their deep desire to have saved him, to have him back...
I don't know exactly what I expected, but, I am so thankful they feel free to openly discuss their thoughts and feelings - good and bad!!
We found a couple videos of Cj and watched them together, laughing as we heard his voice again... Bittersweet moments.
I find it difficult to look at pictures of Cj, it brings a "sharpness" back to the ever present pain...I still gasp in shock at the pain of realizing he is never coming back; it takes my breath away each time.
Every moment of every day, every minute of every hour -- I miss my husband, it doesn't get better or easier -- how can it?!!
I smile, I laugh, I carry on, because I must... But, I am constantly reminded of my loss and ACHE to see his dear face again!
With this week being so hard, I have been immensely blessed by a closeness with my heavenly Father. I have felt His loving arms wrapped around me and my children every day. Even as I couldn't control or stop the tears from flowing this week, I knew He was there wiping them off and holding me close. I am SO blessed to be a daughter of the King! So grateful!!
A friend sent me this scripture, it is a verse that I have loved and it was good to read it again today.
Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty Saviour. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs." (NLT)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding in Jesus

Hiding in Jesus Today was a hard day, I start thinking I am doing okay and then unexpectedly the pain comes... Had a regular check-up for the baby today, and I felt that I was going to be okay, but when I walked into the office, the reality of how much my life is changing hit me and I broke down when the pediatrician walked into the exam room. Also today, I began the process of cleaning out my bedroom, removing a lot of the things that speak so loudly of Cj's presence - as we began pulling stuff out and I saw again how my life is changing, I found myself withdrawing and that now familiar ache spreading... I asked my sister to turn on my ipod and just shuffle my songs. Two songs came on, the first one which I haven't heard for probably 5 years at least! But these two songs were exactly what I needed to hear from my Savior and I was so blessed as His love spread into my hurting heart and again became that "balm of gilead" for me at that moment... I'm going to post a

Changes... Daring to Change

Have you ever felt like, in life, you were standing at the edge of a precipice about to take a plunge? That weird sense of nauseating excitement and nerves as you wonder what awaits if you dare to take “just a step”? The gut twisting, teeth clenching anxiety as you wonder what awaits... Have you ever stood at a crossroads, turning in slow, dizzying circles as you ponder which path to choose… understanding that whichever route you choose will bring uncertain futures – many good, perhaps many difficult and you try to weigh the costs without truly knowing what price they may require? Life is such a tangle of choices… sometimes I can’t trace the threads back to the one that led me to the point where I am standing now – at a crossroads, on a precipice, peering over the edge, feeling the wind whistle past, my heart skips a beat and my breath catches in my throat as I stare at the future looming… As a girl, I handed the reigns of my life over to the One whom my soul loves… my pr

Free falling...

As I continue on this journey, I find that it is the little things that are catching me off guard and causing the most pain... I think because I'm not prepared for them. The big things I am ready for and I am able to take a breath and kind of "shore up" my emotional safeguards in preparation. But, the little, unexpected events - like removing the empty soap dish from Cj's sink in our bathroom and realizing that I don't have to fill it again, or when his phone popped up a reminder to change the air filters monthly... these things remind me again of the reality that he is never coming back and waves of grief wash over me and the tears flow... This week has been full of this emotional roller coaster - add to that a fretful and clingy baby who is no longer sleeping at night, stress filled moments/days over Cj's transportation to Nigeria, some anxiety over situations that were out of my control but nevertheless counted as my responsibility and fault, trying to keep