Skip to main content

Unfailing Love





8 years ago this was my status. A "weekend away" used to seem so long without Cj, when I didn't know that a "lifetime away" was quickly approaching. Every day is a long day, every night is forever... 

::God, how I miss him::

Facebook memories have been inundating me with old posts, reminding me of a lost time of blissful, ignorant, innocence... depending on the day it seems to mock me. My heart aches as the 5th anniversary looms ahead and I remember the unknowingly, unappreciated joys of 

Making dinner while watching the kids lounging with CJ... 

Laughing as Cadence danced to loud music with her daddy...  

Stifling laughter as Cj and I make eye contact over the boys' heads, listening to another hair brained idea... 

Talking about life and decisions with the man who loved me and wanted the best for our family...

I look at my 5yr old who didn't get to know his daddy and <so> <desperately> wants,  NEEDS to know what it is to be loved and wanted by his dad, to have a man in his life who wants and loves him - unconditionally and completely. Despite his idiosyncrasies and little boy annoyances. I see this hole every. single. day. and my heart screams, "it's not fair, why does he have to suffer this"!!!

:::I'm tired today and my defenses get shaky when I'm exhausted. So the pain seeps out and crawls onto paper and then my computer:::


“How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? Turn and answer me, O Lord my God! Restore the sparkle to my eyes…but I trust in Your unfailing love…” Ps 13:2,3,5a
“But You, o Lord, are a shield around me; You are my glory, the One who holds my head high. I cried out to the Lord, and He answered me…” Ps 3:3-4a


Here is my TRUTH when I stare down this dark tunnel that has no end in sight. When I have to take one more step up this mountain. 

I do not understand this plan. At times, I do not see His hand. But, I do trust His heart and I do know Him. I know His unfailing love - therefore I can just lay my head down and cry.

 :::I don't get it Lord, I don't get it. Where is that joy that comes in the morning? Where is the working together for good? It is too much:::

When I am at my end, He seems to do His best work. So I just want to stay in that spot - free falling into His grace. I have to acknowledge that I am incapable of doing this on my own. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I was writing this and choking on emotion - I put on my headphones and hit play. A song I haven't heard, "Enough by Natalie Grant", came on and I have kept it on repeat as the words of my Savior sang over my hurting soul until I could sing along.

Here where the silence speaks
Here in the great unseen
Here when the answer’s out of reach

Here I will brace my heart
Here I will brave the dark
Here find You singing over me
I am known, I am seen
I am carried by the One who won’t forsake me
I am held, I’m not alone
And I know that You will never let me go

Your unfailing love, Your unfailing love
It’s all I have, it’s all I need and it’s enough
Your unfailing love, Your unfailing love
It’s all I have, it’s all I need and it’s enough
It’s all I have, it’s all I need it’s enough

Here I’ll let faith collide
With fear, knowing I will find
You are only good, and only kind
I am known, I am seen
I am carried by the One who won’t forsake me
I am held, I’m not alone

‘Cause I know that You will never let me go
In my weakness you are closest
When I’m heavy and heartbroken
Still You whisper every moment
You are mine when the storm is finally over
And the Heavens are wide open

Still You whisper every moment You are mine

You’re all I have
You’re all I need
You are enough

My middle name is, “Elsie” after my paternal grandmother, an imperfect woman of grace and class - who loved her Lord. The meaning of names are significant to me, so I looked up what Elsie means today. Tears came to my eyes as I read the meaning and the words of this song played in the background. 

Elsie ~ “my God is bountiful. God of plenty. God’s promise.”

“I am praying to You because I know You will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray, show me Your unfailing love in wonderful ways.” Ps 17:6 
“But, I trust in Your unfailing love. I will rejoice because You have rescued me. I will sing to the Lord because He is good to me.” Ps 13:5-6

His unfailing love surrounds me. He is enough.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding in Jesus

Hiding in Jesus Today was a hard day, I start thinking I am doing okay and then unexpectedly the pain comes... Had a regular check-up for the baby today, and I felt that I was going to be okay, but when I walked into the office, the reality of how much my life is changing hit me and I broke down when the pediatrician walked into the exam room. Also today, I began the process of cleaning out my bedroom, removing a lot of the things that speak so loudly of Cj's presence - as we began pulling stuff out and I saw again how my life is changing, I found myself withdrawing and that now familiar ache spreading... I asked my sister to turn on my ipod and just shuffle my songs. Two songs came on, the first one which I haven't heard for probably 5 years at least! But these two songs were exactly what I needed to hear from my Savior and I was so blessed as His love spread into my hurting heart and again became that "balm of gilead" for me at that moment... I'm going to post a

Free falling...

As I continue on this journey, I find that it is the little things that are catching me off guard and causing the most pain... I think because I'm not prepared for them. The big things I am ready for and I am able to take a breath and kind of "shore up" my emotional safeguards in preparation. But, the little, unexpected events - like removing the empty soap dish from Cj's sink in our bathroom and realizing that I don't have to fill it again, or when his phone popped up a reminder to change the air filters monthly... these things remind me again of the reality that he is never coming back and waves of grief wash over me and the tears flow... This week has been full of this emotional roller coaster - add to that a fretful and clingy baby who is no longer sleeping at night, stress filled moments/days over Cj's transportation to Nigeria, some anxiety over situations that were out of my control but nevertheless counted as my responsibility and fault, trying to keep

Changes... Daring to Change

Have you ever felt like, in life, you were standing at the edge of a precipice about to take a plunge? That weird sense of nauseating excitement and nerves as you wonder what awaits if you dare to take “just a step”? The gut twisting, teeth clenching anxiety as you wonder what awaits... Have you ever stood at a crossroads, turning in slow, dizzying circles as you ponder which path to choose… understanding that whichever route you choose will bring uncertain futures – many good, perhaps many difficult and you try to weigh the costs without truly knowing what price they may require? Life is such a tangle of choices… sometimes I can’t trace the threads back to the one that led me to the point where I am standing now – at a crossroads, on a precipice, peering over the edge, feeling the wind whistle past, my heart skips a beat and my breath catches in my throat as I stare at the future looming… As a girl, I handed the reigns of my life over to the One whom my soul loves… my pr