Skip to main content

A Victorious 4th!!

"But, mom, you can't promise me that nothing bad will happen! I don't want to go!!", tears trickled down my 9yr old daughter's cheeks as she wrapped her arms tightly around herself and stared up at me desperately.
We were standing in the center of the canoe/kayak office. A crowd of laughing, chatting people moved around us, heading through the open garage doors to the big, yellow bus waiting to take us to our drop off point.
It was the 4th of July and we had decided to get outdoors and try our family hand at canoeing. It was another first for us, several of the kids had already mentioned the "what if" thought that always run through our minds when we gear up for what should be a fun activity -- but for us brings back memories of packing up for another fun summer day.
As we packed the car that morning, drove into the beat up parking lot, lush greenery waving around us in the sunshine and warm breeze, I could hear the echoes of the day we did all of the same... and left hours later in dazed disbelief, our lives shattered and forever changed by the loss of our daddy/husband.
We had already prayed, covering our fears in truth, but, knowing we had done this back then too, and yet... This experience is something I think most people who have gone through a trauma have to handle and walk through on varying levels.
In our family, we don't let it stop us from living our lives and trying new things, we just know it is the "elephant in the room". We have lots of discussion about choosing to thrive, not letting fear control us, and who we are created to be in Christ.
So this day, we were all doing ok, until we watched the "obligatory safety video" where they show you extreme situations, talk about the worst happenings, tell you about the courses and trainings you should have under your belt, and generally scare the crap out of you before saying "go have fun"!
Being an adult, I was able to recognize the difference, but, my 9yr old was reliving a terrifying moment in her young lifetime. When her dad saved her at the cost of his life. She never really speaks about what those moments were like for her, but, we have dealt with nightmares, emotional outbursts, and unexplainable physical ailments in the years after he died.
My focus has always been on affirming her and the fact that it wasn't her fault.
I felt helpless standing there, rubbing her arm and fighting my own tears, but, inside I felt like stamping my foot and shouting, "This isn't fair! She shouldn't have to go through this!"
We loaded onto the bus, I was able to get my emotions under control, and as we bumped down the road, wind blowing through the windows, we talked - reminding her of who she is, how she is created and equipped for this moment, how she can walk in power through Christ. He wants her to live her life abundantly and with power - not controlled by fear. My sister assured her that if she tried and just couldn't handle it we could pull out and walk back to the bus.
After praying together for peace, safety, and confidence, my girl wiped her face and went forth in a grace that amazed me!
I was so impressed by her strength. She chose to walk in this path and never looked back. She confidently got into the boat with her uncle and cousin and waved at me with a somewhat hesitant smile as we pushed off from shore.
But, that wasn't all she did. She didn't just sit quietly and enjoy the ride. She jumped into the experience - laughing and playing with her crazy uncle and cousin rocking the boat to the point of MY breath leaving, singing along to the music cranking from their portable speaker, swimming during our lunch break, generally being a water baby as she swam along side the canoe later on, enjoyed riding on the front of the canoe, tried her hand at paddling, switched boats enroute, played with her cousins and just had a BLAST facing this fear and forgetting about it!! #nolongerslaves
We all had such a good time and look forward to more fun in the future, but, I was never prouder of my girl than in those moments yesterday when she decided for herself that she was going to choose to thrive!! #LOVEhascalledhername

Comments

  1. That was amazing! Thank you for sharing the reality of the struggle you walk through, face and defeat on a regular basis! God bless you all! You're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marion! I am grateful He can use us to bless others and draw us all closer to Him!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding in Jesus

Hiding in Jesus Today was a hard day, I start thinking I am doing okay and then unexpectedly the pain comes... Had a regular check-up for the baby today, and I felt that I was going to be okay, but when I walked into the office, the reality of how much my life is changing hit me and I broke down when the pediatrician walked into the exam room. Also today, I began the process of cleaning out my bedroom, removing a lot of the things that speak so loudly of Cj's presence - as we began pulling stuff out and I saw again how my life is changing, I found myself withdrawing and that now familiar ache spreading... I asked my sister to turn on my ipod and just shuffle my songs. Two songs came on, the first one which I haven't heard for probably 5 years at least! But these two songs were exactly what I needed to hear from my Savior and I was so blessed as His love spread into my hurting heart and again became that "balm of gilead" for me at that moment... I'm going to post a

Free falling...

As I continue on this journey, I find that it is the little things that are catching me off guard and causing the most pain... I think because I'm not prepared for them. The big things I am ready for and I am able to take a breath and kind of "shore up" my emotional safeguards in preparation. But, the little, unexpected events - like removing the empty soap dish from Cj's sink in our bathroom and realizing that I don't have to fill it again, or when his phone popped up a reminder to change the air filters monthly... these things remind me again of the reality that he is never coming back and waves of grief wash over me and the tears flow... This week has been full of this emotional roller coaster - add to that a fretful and clingy baby who is no longer sleeping at night, stress filled moments/days over Cj's transportation to Nigeria, some anxiety over situations that were out of my control but nevertheless counted as my responsibility and fault, trying to keep

Changes... Daring to Change

Have you ever felt like, in life, you were standing at the edge of a precipice about to take a plunge? That weird sense of nauseating excitement and nerves as you wonder what awaits if you dare to take “just a step”? The gut twisting, teeth clenching anxiety as you wonder what awaits... Have you ever stood at a crossroads, turning in slow, dizzying circles as you ponder which path to choose… understanding that whichever route you choose will bring uncertain futures – many good, perhaps many difficult and you try to weigh the costs without truly knowing what price they may require? Life is such a tangle of choices… sometimes I can’t trace the threads back to the one that led me to the point where I am standing now – at a crossroads, on a precipice, peering over the edge, feeling the wind whistle past, my heart skips a beat and my breath catches in my throat as I stare at the future looming… As a girl, I handed the reigns of my life over to the One whom my soul loves… my pr