Skip to main content

getting better


A sweet, well-meaning friend recently asked me if I was “better now”… and when I answered that it doesn’t “get better” when ones’ husband and daddy dies, she said reassuringly “…well, I’m sure it gets a little better each day, you heal a little every day…” I heard her heart and loved her for what she was trying to say.

I just smiled, sadly, because I knew she just didn’t know. The question flitted through my head, “…please put the shoe on your foot for a moment and try to think of your answer to that question…” Why is it that because time has passed it is assumed that one heals?

The pain is daily and it is everywhere. When I go to bed it is painful, when I sit alone in church, it is painful. When I see my children hurting, it is painful. When I applaud at a child’s performance and look over to share a proud laugh with their dad and find no one; it is painful…. Every day is full of moments that make me want to cry…

But for every pang, every anguished cry, I look at my Savior, standing here with me, most often holding me, and He is the answer to every question, every tear shed in private is witnessed and thought of by the God of the universe! “…He collects every tear and stores them...”

I think the mistake is in thinking that if you are still hurting that something is wrong – I rather think to embrace that, to experience the pain fully and take it to the One who can bear it; that makes one whole again.
In my darkest struggles I look up and through tear stained vision see the eyes of unimaginable Love gazing back at me and I am held. I have no other answer or reason than… Him.

I don’t know how sorrow and joy can coexist – but I know they can. I have joy, I have delight, as I walk through fogs of pain and sadness. This is my foundation – the anchor for my shattered heart. In Christ alone do I glory…on this rock I place my trust.

Comments

  1. Yes oh yes, sorrow and joy do coexist. God is our strength when we are weak. It is because of Him that we can go on living.

    Love and hugs to you and have a nice Valentine's day tomorrow ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got away on a trip and are setting yourself apart to hear the Lord. We need that!

    So appreciate your honesty and trust in our great God. He knows our frame that we are but dust. And yet, He loves us still. He is enough, the lover of our soul.

    Blessings on your re-entry with the family.

    Sue B.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hiding in Jesus

Hiding in Jesus Today was a hard day, I start thinking I am doing okay and then unexpectedly the pain comes... Had a regular check-up for the baby today, and I felt that I was going to be okay, but when I walked into the office, the reality of how much my life is changing hit me and I broke down when the pediatrician walked into the exam room. Also today, I began the process of cleaning out my bedroom, removing a lot of the things that speak so loudly of Cj's presence - as we began pulling stuff out and I saw again how my life is changing, I found myself withdrawing and that now familiar ache spreading... I asked my sister to turn on my ipod and just shuffle my songs. Two songs came on, the first one which I haven't heard for probably 5 years at least! But these two songs were exactly what I needed to hear from my Savior and I was so blessed as His love spread into my hurting heart and again became that "balm of gilead" for me at that moment... I'm going to post a

Changes... Daring to Change

Have you ever felt like, in life, you were standing at the edge of a precipice about to take a plunge? That weird sense of nauseating excitement and nerves as you wonder what awaits if you dare to take “just a step”? The gut twisting, teeth clenching anxiety as you wonder what awaits... Have you ever stood at a crossroads, turning in slow, dizzying circles as you ponder which path to choose… understanding that whichever route you choose will bring uncertain futures – many good, perhaps many difficult and you try to weigh the costs without truly knowing what price they may require? Life is such a tangle of choices… sometimes I can’t trace the threads back to the one that led me to the point where I am standing now – at a crossroads, on a precipice, peering over the edge, feeling the wind whistle past, my heart skips a beat and my breath catches in my throat as I stare at the future looming… As a girl, I handed the reigns of my life over to the One whom my soul loves… my pr

A Victorious 4th!!

"But, mom, you can't promise me that nothing bad will happen! I don't want to go!!", tears trickled down my 9yr old daughter's cheeks as she wrapped her arms tightly around herself and stared up at me desperately. We were standing in the center of the canoe/kayak office. A crowd of laughing, chatting people moved around us, heading through the open garage doors to the big, yellow bus waiting to take us to our drop off point. It was the 4th of July and we had decided to get outdoors and try our family hand at canoeing. It was another first for us, several of the kids had already mentioned the "what if" thought that always run through our minds when we gear up for what should be a fun activity -- but for us brings back memories of packing up for another fun summer day. As we packed the car that morning, drove into the beat up parking lot, lush greenery waving around us in the sunshine and warm breeze, I could hear the echoes of the day we did all of the